Do you have a giant pile of documents at your home or office? Not able to understand which documents to keep and which one to dispose? Don’t worry! In this article we shall discuss about the type of documents you should dispose and the documents that you should keep with you.
Here is a list of documents that you can save for a short period of time –
- Many people have a habit of storing their utility bills, shopping receipts, medical records, pay stubs, bank statements, mortgage documents, insurance documents and tax documents. Remember, these documents generally contain your private information like date of birth or credit card or debit card number and etc. Throwing such documents into trash or leaving them in public places can lead to identity theft. Hence, it is better to dispose all these documents once your work is done with them.
- In order to run a business you may require documents like share registries, financial documents and property acquisition documents. Check with your attorney to understand for how long you have to keep these documents with you. You can dispose these documents generally after 5 to 6 years. However, it is always better to check with an attorney before making any decision. You have to be really careful when disposing such documents. In fact, choose a trustworthy document shredding service to stay in peace.
Mentioned below are a list of documents which have to be stored forever –
- Adoption Papers
- Death Certificates – For Tax Purpose
- Baptismal Certificates
- Driving License
- Birth Certificates
- Marriage Certificates
- Medical Certificates
- Employment Records – Disciplinary files, agreements and etc
- Pension Records
- Retirements Records
- Academic Records – Study Certificates, Score Cards and etc.
There are so many hard-drive and paper shredding companies available these days to assist businessmen who are looking for ways to dispose their documents containing crucial information. However, doing your basic homework is extremely important before choosing a service provider for your documents shredding purpose. Check with your friends if they know any trustworthy document and data shredding companies in your location. You can also go through the client reviews available online. This will give you an idea about the best documents shredding company in your area.
Choose a good document or hard drive shredding companies in your location and stay relaxed without worrying about your important documents being misused by others.